Discussions

Expand all | Collapse all

How to import POINT from CSV

• 1.  How to import POINT from CSV

Posted 01-23-2019 10:33

Is there a way how to import a point type directly from CSV representation?

I implemented a conversion tool to convert NYC Taxi Rides to INSERT statements and execute those 1 by 1 (the etl tool I used Talend cannot do better by default with MapD JDBC driver as its unknown and some functions like batching are not available). So I got idea I will merge long/lat from CSV into other CSV in form of POINT which I will import via command line mapdql.

Is there any way?

• 2.  RE: How to import POINT from CSV

Posted 01-23-2019 10:39

Or I am thinking that I will use Kafka as man in the middle. So I don’t need to mess around, I realized by docs that geo data are supported to be imported from shp, .geojson, .kml files… so maybe pushing and consuming from kafka is better in my case, for speed up.

Ok, I answered my own question :-))

• 3.  RE: How to import POINT from CSV

Posted 01-23-2019 12:38

If you have a csv with lan/lot you can import them with the copy command without needing any transformation.

Take a look to the @veda.shankar blog

• 4.  RE: How to import POINT from CSV

Posted 01-23-2019 20:34

thx @aznable - will just point out the important message:

Now we’ll create a table with a single POINT column which includes the information from the two columns as longitude (x) and latitude (y). By default when the table importer finds scalar values in the CSV row for a POINT column, it consumes two consecutive columns as longitude and latitude. If the order of the coordinates in the CSV file is opposite (latitude, longitude), then load the data using the WITH option lonlat=‘false’ .