How to debug mapD core and trace the excution of a SQL

Hi! I’m a freshman to gdb, but I know the basic knowledge.

I wan’t to trace the mapD server, and I wonder how a SQL is excuted in mapD.
So I want to debug it. But the server got two child thread——bufThread && httpThread.

I followed the gdb tuturial to debug multi-threads code. But I always failed with the error below.And I can't see which code line the code executed.

Futher, I can’t set breakpoint. I must do something in a wrong way. Can anyone help me.Thanks

0x00007ffff62f198d in pthread_join (threadid=140736714430208, thread_return=0x0) at pthread_join.c:90
90      pthread_join.c: No such file or directory.
(gdb) q

@pickou we would love to help, but the issues you describe seem to be specific to GDB rather than our products. I can ask around and see if we have anyone that’s familiar with GDB.

hi @pickou,

You have to compile for debug using the `-DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=debug, but I guess you already did, then you have to be sure the built mapd_server is functional, starting the server then running some queries; after that debugging is as “easy” :wink: task, but following the various steps of such complex software with gdb in command line mode it’s a little awkward.

anyway here is a brief example

gdb ./mapd_server
GNU gdb (Ubuntu 8.2-0ubuntu1~16.04.1) 8.2
Copyright (C) 2018 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
[CUT]
For help, type "help".
Type "apropos word" to search for commands related to "word"...
Reading symbols from ./mapd_server...
set argsdone.
 (gdb)
(gdb) set args --config /opt/mapd_storage/mapd.conf
(gdb) start
Temporary breakpoint 1 at 0x14dd1a6: file /opt/github-mapd/mapd-core/MapDServer.cpp, line 204.
Starting program: /opt/github-mapd/mapd-core/build_profiling/bin/mapd_server --config /opt/mapd_storage/mapd.conf
[Thread debugging using libthread_db enabled]
Using host libthread_db library "/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libthread_db.so.1".

Temporary breakpoint 1, main (argc=3, argv=0x7fffffffe5c8) at /opt/github-mapd/mapd-core/MapDServer.cpp:204
204     int main(int argc, char** argv) {
(gdb) break CompareIR.cpp:Executor::codegenCmp
Breakpoint 2 at 0x1d95853: CompareIR.cpp:Executor::codegenCmp. (2 locations)
(gdb) continue
Continuing.
E0107 17:25:24.999969  4173 MapDHandler.cpp:176] This build isn't CUDA enabled, will run on CPU
Thrift: Mon Jan  7 17:25:25 2019 TSocket::open() connect() <Host: localhost Port: 9093>Connection refused
[Detaching after fork from child process 4182]
E0107 17:25:25.217703  4173 MapDHandler.cpp:208] No GPUs detected, falling back to CPU mode
[New Thread 0x7fffdf5f1700 (LWP 4199)]
[CUT]
[Thread 0x7fffde4ee700 (LWP 4208) exited]
[Switching to Thread 0x7ffff7f94700 (LWP 4203)]

Thread 4 "mapd_server" hit Breakpoint 2, Executor::codegenCmp (this=0x4c5de10, bin_oper=0x5326f10, co=...)
    at /opt/github-mapd/mapd-core/QueryEngine/CompareIR.cpp:184
184                                       const CompilationOptions& co) {
(gdb) step
185       const auto qualifier = bin_oper->get_qualifier();

As you can see it’s not a problem setting breakpoints and seeing line codes; you cannot see the source of the pthread_join function because it’s a part of pthread lib. If you are getting this “error” every time you run the debug, is likely your executable has a problem.

Thanks for your detailed reply. My confusion lies in break CompareIR.cpp:Executor::codegenCmp. I set as break mapDServer.cpp:13,but it failed with error can' find file mapDServer.cpp. So I’m confused. In addition,I got myself stuck in the two thread.
Anyway, I’m clear now. Thanks for your kindly help.

Yes,this is a debugging issue of gdb rather than the mapD. I appreciate your help.

Hi @pickou,

you should find which is the record source directory of the mapd_server file; so open mapd_server executable with gdb then run this command

info sources

You should get an output like that

(gdb) info sources
Source files for which symbols have been read in:

/opt/github-mapd/mapd-core/MapDServer.cpp, /usr/include/c++/6/exception, /usr/include/c++/6/bits/predefined_ops.h,
/usr/include/c++/6/bits/stl_algobase.h, /usr/include/c++/6/bits/char_traits.h, /usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu/bits/byteswap.h,
[CUT] 

if the path of your mapd sources is wrong, you can try to set the right path with the gdb command

set directory $cdir:$cwd:/the/path/where/mapd/sources/reside

and retry.

it’s normal you are stuck with two thread because the server runs initially two threads