Mapdql hangs for sql return big result set

Hi,

I am running the open source version of MapD Core with CPU using mapdql.

The mapdql frequently hangs (not always) when I issue a sql that will return a big result set. (to be specific, a sql that generate 6 millions rows result) However, for those sqls issued to the same table but result set is small, the mapdql behave well.

The interesting thing is, the “mapd_server.INFO” log shows that the sql is already finished, something like:
“sql_execute-COMPLETED Total: 12330 (ms), Execution: 2056 (ms)”

But the mapdql hangs and does not return result for me. I set “enable-dynamic-watchdog” to “true” and set the “dynamic-watchdog-time-limit” to some value but still cannot solve this problem.

Currently, what I do is I issue the sqls multiple times until it succeed. (the success chance is low)

It will be great if any one can help with this.

Thanks.

Just to clarify, you’re trying to return 6mm rows via mapdql, not using export?

https://www.omnisci.com/docs/v4.0.0/6_exporting_data.html

Yes, I am doing performance testing so I am not saving any result.

Adding “COPY TO” made mapdql stable! Thank you!

However, I cannot get the timing information of the pure SQL after adding “COPY TO”.
Instead, I can only see the “Total Time” for the whole “COPY TO” command in “mapd_server.INFO” file, which may not be accurate enough for me.

Do you have any good way to address that?

Sorry to keep answering your questions with different questions, but what are you trying to benchmark? Using a CPU-only build is going to be the slowest that OmniSci will perform, and returning 6 million rows is generally not going to be a high-performance query (since I presume this is either a select * query or a join to build a table)

Yes, I am doing benchmark and CPU-only mode is one of the benchmark I am trying to do.

The reason the result set has 6 million rows is I am testing some really big table. Not only “SELECT *” or “JOIN” will produce this many rows, but also some meaningful sqls like GROUP BY high cardinality columns.

I am still trying to figure out this problem. Is there any way that can allow user to choose only execute the sql but not produce any result?

Thanks.