The query is

select
m,
m.col1,
round(sum(m.col2)) as val
from my_table m
where
m.col2 is not null and m.col2 > 0
and m.col3 in (1) and m.col4 in (17) and 10 + m.col5 * 10000 + m.col6 in (1234) and m.col6 = 231
group by m.col1
order by round(sum(m.col2)) desc
limit 1000

“my_table” has 792948 rows.

At the time of error memory_summary showed less than 100 MB used.

The error no longer occurs after restarting omnisci_server.

OmniSQL Version: 5.3.2-20200803-a970373210

Is there a configuration parameter that can help with this?

Thanks!
Ray

Hi @Ray1,

Is this a recurrent issue? Does it happen every time you ran this query or randomly?
Have you tried to use the \cpu_memory command to flush the CPU cache instead of restarting the server?

Anyway, this issue generally happens when the guessing of number of rows returned by a query, so I can only suggest trying to turn off the parameter use-estimator-result-cache (–use-estimator-result-cache=false) as a workaround.
It would be helpful to turn on the verbose parameter to give us some info to figure out the problem; I haven’t able to reproduce it right now, so a detailed log could help.

Best Regards,
Candido

Thanks Candido,

It happened on a specific query several times before restarting the service and hasn’t happened since. I’ll try \cpu_memory if/when it does and get detailed logs.

Does disabling use-estimator-result-cache affect performance?

I wasn’t aware of the \cpu_memory command, it isn’t documented under \h. Is there list somewhere of all omnisql slash commands?

Thanks for your help!
Ray

Hi @Ray1,

Nope, I mixed the command…I wanted to say \clear_cpu, it should fix a memory fragmentation problem, while in this case, it’s unlikely; the command will clear the memory CPU cache, so everything has to be re-read from disk.

To reply to your second question; yes, it could affect the performances because it suppresses the caching of estimator queries, but it’s worth using it, if the issue is a recurring one.