Using dc.rasterLayer to draw lines

Hi guys,

Currently, I need to use the function of dc.rasterLayer(“lines”) to draw lines on the map.

But is there any documentation that I can refer to? Now I just see the example of drawing points on the map in the github of mapd-charting. I really have no idea how to apply it to lines.

Thanks!

Hi @Jason
OmniSci will support the rendering of LINESTRING objects on a geographic map in a soon to be released version of Immerse.
There is sample code for rendering LINESTRING using VEGA spec in this repo.

Regards,
Veda

Hi @veda.shankar,

I’m developing an application now, so I need to build some custom functionality instead of just using Mapd Immerse.

Because I need to do the cross filtering like, between LINESTRING and time chart, and it seems that VEGA does not support the cross filtering, so I need to use mapdc.js.

I have checked the source code of mapdc.js and found that it supports drawing lines on a map using the raster chart, but I can’t find any detailed documentation about how to use it. Therefore, I am wondering if you can give me quick tutorial to this.

Thanks a lot

Hi @Jason

I spoke with the developer, and we will update GitHub mapd-charting with an example on rendering LINESTRING object by next week.

Regards,
Veda

Hi @veda.shankar,

That would be great. Big thank to your help!

Best regards,
Jason

Hi @veda.shankar,

I just saw the update of the example on rendering LINESTRING object on Github mapd-charting, thanks for that.

BTW, I have seen your documentation on how to use VEGA, I think that is well written and comprehensive. However, I am wondering whether there are similar documentation with regarding to mapdc.js so that developer can refer to them soundly.

Regards,
Jason

Hi @Jason,
I was going to notify you today that Linemap example has landed in mapd-charting repo, but you are ahead of me :slight_smile: I will check on the documentation.

Regards,
Veda

Hi @veda.shankar,

I am just wondering whether there is any progress on the documentation?

Actually I have seen the documentation about mapdc, here is the link: https://omnisci.github.io/mapd-charting/docs/
However, you can see there is nothing about raster chart, which is needed to draw lines or points on the map. Looking forward to your help!

regards,
Jason

Hi @Jason,

Yes, the docs need updating, looking into it.

Regards,
Veda